Glasgow City sink Hibs Ladies with injury time winner

Glasgow City sink Hibs Ladies with injury time winner

Hibernian Ladies hopes of an eighth consecutive domestic cup win ended with a 4-3 defeat to Glasgow City at Tynecastle this afternoon but both teams deserve credit for producing a tremendous advert for the sport, writes John Hislop

Watched by a record crowd of 3,123 including Judy Murray, Hibs started brightly and Jamie-Lee Napier was unfortunate to be flagged offside when clean through in goal in the fourth minute and then again four minutes later.

Amy Gallagher celebrates after scoring for Hibs just before the interval. (Pic: Thomas Brown)

Hibs opened the scoring in the 31st minute after Jamie Lee Napier picked up the ball in midfield and sent a perfect through ball into the path of Colette Cavanagh. The winger fired in a superb low cross which Amy Gallacher guided into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes later a mistake in the Hibs’ defence allowed Eilish McSorley space to fire a powerful strike past Jenna Fife to equalise, and moments later Glasgow took the lead when Leanne Chrichton connected with a cross from the left wing.

Hibs levelled shortly after the restart when McGregor set up Napier and the midfielder beat Lee Alexander with a powerful strike.
Napier then sent in a wonderful cross from the right wing which Cavanagh met with a diving header but Alexander produced a superb save to deny the striker.

Jamie-Lee Napier scores to level the game early in the second half. (Pic: Thomas Brown)

A mistake by captain Leanne Ross in the Glasgow defence resulted in the ball landing at the feet of Gallacher on the edge of the area and her shot deflected off the defender into the net to give Hibs a 3-2 lead.

Glasgow responded immediately and it took a great save from Fife to keep Hibs in front.

Scott Booth’s side equalised in the 70th minute when a corner kick from the right found the unmarked Clare Shine and the striker’s header flew into the top corner.

Both teams continued to attack in search of the winner and with two minutes remaining Shine grabbed the winner with a superb strike which flew high into the top corner of the net.

Glasgow City celebrate with the trophy. (Pic: Thomas Brown)

That goal secured a league and cup double or the west coast side.

After the final whistle City’s captain, Leanne Ross said : What a season we have had. I’m so proud to captain this team. Congratulations to Hibs for what they brought to the game but we are just delighted to have come away as winners today. You can’t beat this feeling.”

Share This Post

Post Comment